Doctype problem

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Hi,
I have been playing with the menu, and am very impressed so far.
However ran into a serious problem trying to apply it to a project.

Using <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" > (which is used by MultiMenu) brakes functionality of AjaxControlToolkit, and using
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">, or any XHTML for that matter, fixes control toolkit, but brakes MultiMenu. (It is functional in IE only with XHTML)

Is there any solution to this issue?

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM
Sorry, the menu was written using HTML 4.0 and has not been checked against XHTML 1.0. I suspect I will upgrade the control in the future to support XHTML 1.0 and do not think it will take too much work to do so if you want to give it a try.

Bill
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Hi Bill,
I've been impressed with the flexability of the menu system and would like to use it but I'm afraid using the doc type that breaks ajax is a deal breaker for me.  Also I'm a fan of the YUI css library which I encourage you to give a try (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/).  It seems to cause the menu's to do some funky things in IE7. (When the page first loads, it litters the screen with outlines of the to be dropped menu items.  When the menu items are actually dropped down it seems to repaint the area and they work fine after that.)
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM
I've checked-out Yui and a few of the other Ajax libraries. One of these days I will re-write the menu's client-side code with one of them. When writing the menu I did take a lot of time to design it so it would not interfere with other JavaScript-based controls/libaries. I guesss I could have missed somthing, but also the issue could be on Yui's end. I can say that the menu has been used in MS Ajax Toolkit powered websites without any problems.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Just wanted to let you know that the menu now works with the XHTML doctypes (for those who don't know, VisualStudio 2005 and later use the XHTML 1.0 transitional doctype).